Join hospitality professionals

Enter your email address:



Get all the latest job, news, views, ideas and more FREE!!

Women must sacrifice to succeed in hotel industry, female executives say

LONDON Women must be willing to make sacrifices to achieve senior roles in the global hospitality sector, and they need a strong support network, the help of mentors and gritty determination.

That is according to a panel of successful senior female executives who discussed career roadblocks for women in hospitality during an event this week sponsored by HVS Executive Search and Leading Ladies of London Association, an organization of female general managers.

Women must take the lead from their male counterparts and draw more attention to their successes, particularly when it comes to salary negotiations, the panel says.

"Women are the backbone of the hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism industry, making up 60% of the sector's workforce, but only 6% percent of senior board executives—half the national average," says HVS Executive Search Director Lorenza Alessie. "It seems that whilst many women progress to supervisor or unit manager level, few are currently able to make the step up to the next level. In the hospitality industry, on average, 25% of the male workforce is employed as managers and are in senior positions, compared with 18% of females."

There are now eight women general managers of 5-star hotels in London, a number that has grown in recent years.

Debrah Dhugga, GM of London's Dukes Hotel and one of the founders of Leading Ladies of London Association, admitted making difficult sacrifices in to get to her current role, including working many years at a job that merely covered cost of childcare, missing her children's school events and living away from home five days a week.

"This industry is a lifestyle. Many times my friends have said to me that they can't believe I could leave my children," Dhugga says. "These comments hurt, but I had to rise above it. I did it because I wanted to. The cost can be great, but I wanted a career, and although that can be perceived as selfish, you have to put yourself first. My children certainly haven't suffered as a result."

Fellow panelist Alison Frith, owner and managing director of Artizian catering, also cites huge sacrifices in pursuit of career success. "I had a choice—children or my own business—and I chose to set up my own business," she says. "When I am working 48-hour stints I realize I made the right decision. I couldn't work those sort of hours with children."

But rather than demanding more flexibility from employers in the industry, it seems that successful women are now more willing to make the sacrifices required to reach the top jobs, and that involves having good backup and understanding partners. "The more senior you are the more difficult it is for employers to be flexible. A network of support is absolutely critical, and you can never underestimate that," Frith says.

Dhugga strikes an equally realistic note: "Anyone who comes into our industry and thinks it is a nine-to-five job never lasts," she says. "It's a lifestyle. You can be flexible up to a point, but you still have a business to run and you've got to be prepared to work for it."

The panelists advise professional women to be more open with employers about career aspirations and plans, particularly regarding returning to work after maternity leave. They also advocate for women to find mentors to discuss career issues. "The further up the ladder you go the lonelier it is," Dhugga says. "A network of women and mentors gives you someone to discuss things with, and that can be extremely useful.