Join hospitality professionals

Enter your email address:



Get all the latest job, news, views, ideas and more FREE!!

Little Luxuries – How Hotels can do Better.


4Hoteliers Image Library

It's amazing how it's the small luxuries we remember from a really good hotel visit, I still remember my joy on visiting one little bed and breakfast when I found real milk in a jug (protected by a bead-weighted embroidered doily), five different types of tea including Earl Grey and proper china teacups. Little luxuries are how hotels earn their five stars - see for example our review of The Baglioni where my colleague Jules was greeted with cold towels and drinks after arriving to check in on a scorching hot day.
4Hoteliers Image Library


4Hoteliers Image Library

4Hoteliers Image Library

4Hoteliers Image Library

4Hoteliers Image Library
So what small luxuries should hotels be giving us? One idea is a shoe shine – still offered by some of the more traditional hotels. But I think the shoe shine is obsolete. How many of us wear suede, or trainers or sandals these days – none of which take a shine. I’m more interested in the free soft drinks now offered by many hotels. When I get into my hotel room, I want to put my bags down and relax. Part of the ‘relax’ is a cool drink if I’ve arrived on a hot day, or a cup of tea or coffee on a cold one – a complimentary soft drink is always a nice touch. Red Carnation Hotels (which runs six boutique London hotels) specialises in “tiny noticeable touches” including free seasonal treats for guests – we recently blogged for example about their strawberry season treats. We’re sure they’ll soon also be offering some soothing winter warmers like the free hot chocolate and homemade biscuits we enjoyed during our free WiFi touchdown at the same group’s Rubens at the Palace Hotel. 



Search for more Revenue Manager jobs>
Search for more Reservation Manager jobs>
Search for Jobs in Jalandhar>
Search for Jobs with Intercontinental Hotels>
Search for Jobs with Intercontinental Hotels in Costa Rica>
Search for Jobs in Costa Rica>
Search for Jobs with Crowne Plaza>
Search for Jobs with Mandarin Oriental>
Search for Jobs with Mandarin Oriental in Mexico>
Search for Jobs in Mexico>
Search for Jobs with DoubleTree>
Search for Jobs with DoubleTree in UK>
Search for Jobs in UK>
Search for Jobs with Marriott>
Search for Jobs with Marriott in Sweden>
Search for Jobs with Marriott in Norway>
Search for Jobs in Sweden>