Imran Sultan
Boat Manager of The Oberoi Zahra, Luxury Nile Cruiser
Egypt
eg.linkedin.com/pub/imran-sultan/18/a5b/454
Editor: tell us about your journey. how did it all start?
IS: I wanted to study Hotel Management after finishing school and was accepted into the Blue Mountains Hotel School which is a premier and top rated Hotel School in Australasia. It was a fantastic experience which set me up for a future in my chosen industry.
After returning to India in 2002 I was selected into the Guest Management Program at the prestigious Oberoi Centre of Learning and Development(OCLD). I haven’t looked back since then and continue to work with Oberoi Hotels, a company I love and believe to be one of the finest in the hospitality industry.
Editor: what according to you makes an experience memorable?
IS: I believe it is the small details that make an experience memorable. Being able to proactively provide a product or service to a guest even before s/he has to ask is the difference between good and excellent service. And doing all of it with genuine warmth and a smile.
Editor: You probably have a job that most indian hoteliers would kill for. How did this all happen and what makes this job so special?
IS: I would like to think I have worked hard for it J
I have worked at various Oberoi and Trident Hotels in different positions(Front Office and Food and Beverage) spanning a period of 11 years. I came to Egypt in 2011 as Boat Manager of The Oberoi Zahra. It has been a great learning experience in a country which has people, cultures and customs very different from your own. Also operating a Nile Cruiser comes with its own unique logistical challenges very different from a Hotel.
Working with a wonderful team and product and being able to offer a unique experience of the Nile to our well travelled guests makes this job very special.
Editor: What do you think it takes to succeed in this industry?
IS: I believe having the right attitude is the most important thing to succeed in the hospitality industry, along with common sense. A ‘can do’ attitude with a smile. Everything else can be taught but having the right attitude cannot be taught, one either has it or doesn’t.
Generally people see only the glamorous side of hotels, but there is a lot of hard work and long hours that go on behind the scenes.
There is no shortcut to success. One has to be prepared to cut their teeth in every aspect of hotels from kitchen stewarding to housekeeping, engineering to front office, kitchen to accounting. It is the only way to become a well rounded hotelier.
Editor : What are the attributes you look for while selecting or hiring?
IS: I look for a pleasant personality and a ‘can do’ attitude. Hospitality is all about first impressions so grooming and punctuality is essential. Basic common sense and general knowledge is important. In hotels we interact with guests from around the world and we should be able to strike up a conversations about anything.
Editor: Tell us a little about your average day
IS: My day on the cruiser essentially revolves around guests. I am always around in public areas when guests are out and about, interacting with them and making sure they are enjoying their trip with us.
I walk around doing checks of all departments and areas of the cruiser and interact with team members. I spend time in the kitchen and restaurant during meal service.
Apart from that there are always emails to check and reply to from various guests, departments and corporate office.
Editor: How do keep abreast of all that is happening in hospitality?
IS: For hospitality related news I check in with Linkedin. I do get emailers and hospitality newsletters from various other hospitality publishing houses.
