EDITOR: TELL US ABOUT YOUR JOURNEY. HOW DID IT ALL START?
After my tertiary education, I had started my career working as a housekeeping attendant with a hotel called Bandarawela in Bandarawala town, Sri Lanka which had a capacity of 35 guestrooms. Ever since, I've been on a journey to motivate myself to learn and grow in my career with world renowned hotels.
EDITOR: WHAT DO YOU THINK IT TAKES TO SUCCEED IN THIS INDUSTRY?
To be successful in the hospitality industry, one has to make difference , by being creative to bring new thought process with the end result of complete satisfaction of the guests.
EDITOR: WHAT ARE THE ATTRIBUTES YOU LOOK FOR WHILE SELECTING OR HIRING?
Most important attribute of a person working in this industry is their attitude and behaviour, if person has a positive attitude, it reflects on quality of their work.
EDITOR: WHAT ACCORDING TO YOU CAN TRAINEES DO WHILE THEY ARE TRAINING AT HOTELS TO MAKE IT A WIN-WIN FOR THEM & THE HOTEL/UNIT?
By taking more initiative and interest to grab the necessary knowledge & skills, also at the same time adhering to hotels cleanliness policies.
EDITOR: TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR AVERAGE DAY
The thing I enjoy most working in this business is your days are never the same. My day starts with morning line up with the team where we share and take steps to create memorable stories. My first half of the day is allocated with meetings & emails and also I make sure I catch up with my team to provide them with any mentoring they might need. Second half I work on new project and in need I meet my colleagues from various departments to discuss.
EDITOR: HOW DO KEEP ABREAST OF ALL THAT IS HAPPENING IN HOSPITALITY?
As a good leader, I keep a close eye on every aspect of business. I make it a habit to keep abreast of the development in the industry by reading the industry related magazines Morning meetings with the head of every department where progress of each and every department is reviewed and analyzed.
EDITOR: TWO REASONS WHY THIS INDUSTRY IS AWESOME!
1. You get to express your own creativity at work which polishes your personality in a unique way.
2. You have the opportunity to interact with diverse groups of people from all walks of life.
EDITOR: TWO THINGS YOU WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE ABOUT THE INDUSTRY.
Train the staff to act professionally and to think differently.