Vibhav Verma
Executive Chef
The Lemon Tree Hotel Company
Editor: Tell us about your journey. How did it all start?
The Journey all began with my father being a part of the Hospitality Industry in 1999. That inspiration of a dream world is all I dreamt off till I passed out school. Seeing a Chef from a sight always made me feel very special. I set out to the hotel management colleges joining a degree course and still living the dream of being a Chef. Even as I passed out, I knocked the door of just one organization who gave me a chance to prove my worth. That one golden chance truly showcased the real pulp of what a Chef really is. Today, I fall back and thank my Folks, Chef trainers and mentors of what I am.
Editor: What do you think it takes to succeed in this industry?
In the golden words of my mentor, Chef Rajeev Janveja, “ It’s all about the dedication and attitude towards your work, team and product.” I think that one single statement says it all.
Editor: What are the attributes you look for while selecting or hiring?
Apart from the very essential and basics, sheer passion and hunger for knowing food. The die hard spirit of being worth of that coat that you wear at work and the dedication and passion that burns in one’s eyes to know more and more creating a knowledge bank and a whirlpool of ideas.
Editor: What according to you can trainees do while they are training at hotels to make it a win-win for them & the hotel/unit?
Today, on training, a trainee should carry the approach of, “I can do it and must do it.” May what come in his/her life right from cleaning the pots to peeling an onion one should just assimilate all that comes by. Now, that I call a total win-win situation. Till date, I myself believe that one learns from all walks of life and inter-departmentally as well in the hospitality industry.
Editor: Tell us a little about your average day
Life has to be organized, no matter what. On the lean days the primary focus, my guests. Even if I’m off, I will ensure I go pay a visit to them so as feel content that my guests are well taken care off. Then to my budding stars, my dedicated platoon of Chefs in my kitchen. There a glitter in my eye seeing my budding stars show extra care to the produce being sent out. As the day goes by, I do ensure that my stores are well equipped with all the necessary supplies, making a call to my vendors and having a quick chat with them as well.
Before leaving for the day I do some quick RND with some quick finger swabs and FIFO/LIFO checks to ensure that my organizational compliance's are adhered to at all times. On the way out I chill with the my hotels K9, as you would know we have one in all our hotels across the chain. Well that’s more like my average day practice.
Editor: How do keep abreast of all that is happening in hospitality?
Chefs round the world with whom I have worked in the past as well as my fellow mates round the globe, we keep a strong connect at all times seeking more knowledge about the twists and turns that come around. My professors who taught me in India as well as in Scotland who give me deeper insights often of the new evolution coming about in their part of the world. Also, today hotelier blogs, global websites, hotel chains websites, magazines and case studies are a great way which I research with just for that extra touch to my knowledge bank.
Editor: Two reasons why this industry is awesome!
Firstly, this is one industry which gives you the actual insight to life, possibly no other industry does. Secondly, this is the only industry that where one meets people from different walks of life and build an art of understanding what really mankind and humanity is all about.
Editor: Two things you would like to change about the industry.
Firstly, Approach is a key factor to look into. If the approach is correct, one could just do wonders and save time for more learning. Secondly, bond. This if grows strong can do wonders to this industry. It’s all about simplification and a dedicated approach to to work that make a great hotelier, a great hotel hence a great product.
