Join hospitality professionals

Enter your email address:



Get all the latest job, news, views, ideas and more FREE!!

Exclusive Interview | Amit Gurung, Executive Housekeeper, Elite Resort And Spa,Muharaq








Editor: Tell us about your journey. How did it all start? 
Oh! It will be quite a lengthy story. I was made for Hotel Industry and that too for only Housekeeping department. So I landed in Oberoi Group of hotels and resorts. My first job was with Wildflower Hall, A resort in Himalayas where I counter what hotel is. I was simple graduate who had spent 12 years as professional Football Player. Playing for School team, North Zone Team, Bihar State Level, Delhi university team and then Junior national Team.

While completing Graduation from Delhi University I had simultaneously Completed course in Aviation And Hospitality from AIR HOSTESS ACADEMY, LAJPAT NAGAR. As I am Guy who had always “DREAM BIG.”I had done aviation course with view of becoming Flight steward and to create my own world in Sky. Quitting Soccer and starting new profession from scratch was tough but not impossible. I had appeared for interview in OBEROI HOTELS 3 times. Every time I cleared the mass recruitment for FO department which was always held in Oberoi Maiden Hotel but at last stage they offered me HK assistant saying that you look strong and task oriented, for which I say no I don’t want to go in Housekeeping department.

But God had already defined my ‘DESTINY’. So finally 4th time I sat for interview asking for F&B Department with a cunning thought that I will work for only 6 months and then move to Aviation, as Experience of hotel Industry are counted for Flight steward post. But again there was twist in the end of interview where I was offered as HK Associate again. Thinking of later stage after 6 month I will be giving up this job and will move to Aviation I accepted it.But from the day one when I stepped in Hotel Wildflower Hall, total scenario was changed as culture in ‘Oberoi ‘is very different and I am proud to say that I am a Oberoi Product. From that day and till now I had created a differentiation wherever I went with setting an “EXAMPLE Of LEADER ‘who is born for Housekeeping and Guest Satisfaction. My Total Carrier consist of Experienced gained In Oberoi Hotel For 5 Year, Carlson Group for 2 .2 years, The Park Hyderabad for 11 months and Taj Chandigarh for 2 years and In Current Elite group For 1 year.

Editor: What do you think it takes to succeed in this industry? 
P2D2 @ HOTEL INDUSTRY PATIENCE AND PASSION DISCIPLINED AND DETERMINATION.

Editor: What are the attributes you look for while selecting or hiring? 
It depends for which post you are taking interview, interview is for skilled semi-skilled or fresher. But in all criteria ‘Personality’ with ‘ATTITUDE’ counts first followed by Job Knowledge which a person definitely have to carry with him according to tenure of service. What and how he had created differentiation to the organisation?How many times guest had appreciated his approach of concern.

Editor: What according to you can trainees do while they are training at hotels to make it a win-win for them & the hotel/unit? 
Trainee-A individual character who goes to all department ,work and do the clearance after 16 weeks of training and don’t dare to ask what and where he stands? But for me A Trainee plays a very useful and a great job as they are also counted as Manpower once they are assigned to the hotel department. I personally meet them once they are starting in my department, ask them what they learned from other department and what are the things they want to know in Housekeeping. I always give them a task which includes practical and theoretical classes.

Every week they come to me with task and training done in a week. I feel satisfied and proud when my Trainee says that this Hotel Housekeeping department is very different because of below mentioned points:-
 1. How they are trained to do the job?
 2. Seniors can’t blame saying this job was done by trainee.
 3. Getting a chance to show there caliber handling guest request and small responsibility for which they are appreciated.
 4. Motivation for doing the job even if it is done wrong, somebody is there to rectify and teach how to do it?
 5. Feeling free to reach at any given point.

Editor: Tell us a little about your average day 
My First half is busy with meetings with GM, Staff and vendor, GSTS, unwanted and unplanned meetings, new ideas and innovation to do in Hotels and Second half is to finish my follow ups. 

Editor: How do keep abreast of all that is happening in hospitality? 
LinkedIn, YouTube and Hotelier magazine is the best way to keep yourself updated. Definitely with your colleague too but don’t forget they are competing you.