Towards a successful Hospitality Career!
I asked the network
Do you need a Hotel Management Degree to become a General Manager?
Here is a response that says IT AIN'T SO.
- Delete
- This is a question that has been asked a hundred times and maybe more. And in the past 22 odd years of aasociation with this industry I have seen some of the best General Managers are non hotel management graduates.
Years back the most popular hotel chain-EIH or what is better known as the "Oberois" started taking on MT's from non-hotel management background and succeeded in training making some of the best general managers in the industry.
I have seen the most unlikely candidates make it really big in hotels and I guess all of us have heard of Major Rehman in the ITC Welcomgroup who got into operations from such a different back ground and today is in a very senior position in the company.
Now the question arises if it is unfair to take on non HM graduates and allow them into the system. Well many HM graduates eventually choose not to work in hotels and have made it big in allied or totally alien fields.
Its a give and take and what matter most at the end of the day is the ATTITUDE one has to accept this industry and succceed...the same goes for all the industries!!