Join hospitality professionals

Enter your email address:



Get all the latest job, news, views, ideas and more FREE!!

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW | MURALI .V | Cluster Head | Human Resources| Berggruen Hotels Pvt Ltd

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Mr MURALI .V

Cluster Head

Human Resources

Berggruen Hotels Pvt Ltd

Editor: Tell us about your journey. How did it all start?

After I completed my Hospital Administration, I started my career being associated with a reputed hospital in Salem, Chennai. I relocated to Bangalore when I received an offer in the Administration department from a leading Hospital chain. During that period in the organization in drawing interest towards the Human Resource Department the way the team tackled challenges on a daily basis. This made me keen to know more about the operation and function of the Human Resource Department which is the backbone for any organization.

Then I decide the best industry to help me learn more about Human Resource will be the hospitality Industry. The organizations to give me this opportunity learn more was Country Club India Pvt. Ltd., KEYS Hotel (A unit of Berggruen Hotels Pvt. Ltd.,) one of the fastest growing chain of hotel in India, has given me the opportunity for growth has an individual and enhance my knowledge. This hotel chain has been following the best Practices and standards to make an identity for itself and the team member in a very short span of time.

The HR practices followed in the company are best which ensures there is maximum satisfaction of both, employees , who are our assets and our guest. This may have played a vital role in my career by giving me best possible opportunities to grow further. When I entered the organization I was offered Guest Service Manager and during the period I grown has cluster human resources for the Bangalore region.

Editor: What do you think it takes to succeed in this industry? 

The key to succeed in the industry is hard work, good knowledge of the job, compassion and to be a good listener.

Editor : What are the attributes you looking for while selecting or hiring?

The attributes we look at a candidate when we hire them are: Right Attitude, Job Knowledge, Skill.

Editor: What according to you can trainees do while they are training at hotels to make it a win-win for them & the hotel/unit? 

Trainees are like raw talent, when they come into the industry they have the urge to learn. During the course of learning in their colleges they would develop an interest in one particular department. When they come to do their training they have been given opportunities to learn in all the department practically. This helps them to understand the desire and their interest to grow and make their career in the particular department. The organization has ample time to understand and acquire the best out of the trainees.

During this period even the hotel and the trainee will enhance the learning process.

Editor: Tell us a little about your average day 
My day starts at 9AM I go to the Cafeteria to have breakfast with the team and start the day there at. I go the departments to meet with the team members and greet them. Once in the office I have the reports ready to be seen which included Financial, competition figures, guest feedback and any Interview schedules follow ups to be caught on plus screen through the Manager on Duty report, and Security report. I then have a morning meeting at 9.30 am with General Manager and Head of the Departments in the hotel. Post this if any staff grievance will be addressed along with GM. All follow up and approvals from the Chief Human Resource Officer take the rest of the morning time.

Lunch typically happens with the team member in the cafeteria After which we plan for the food festival for staff for the month, followed by employee engagement activities organized for our employees during their break. This helps them to distress themselves and work better has a team. After which training is done for the employees after they are done with departmental briefing. I end the day with to- do list for the next day. 

Editor: How do keep abreast of all that is happening in hospitality? 

We meet once a quarter in the HR networking meeting. Read trade journals, visit industry websites and subscribe to informative RSS feeds, twitter accounts. Some groups on LinkedIn offer fantastic links and resources. .